Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Take some God time for yourself

My watch broke a few weeks ago and I haven't really missed it. I have gotten used to looking at my cell phone when I need to know what time it is. Well that didn't work today. I had to turn my phone off when I boarded the plan for California.

Yes, I am in California tonight at a National Pastors Conference. Well, I digress. The point I wanted to make is that abut half way through the cross country flight I realized that I had no idea what time it was. I was literally lost in time. Between the changes in the time zones and the fact that I had spent time working on my computer, reading my book and dozing off, it literally could have been any time of the day.

It struck me that for all intents and purposes it really didn't matter either. I was living in the now for the first time in a long time. Usually we live in between what we just did and what we have to do. We let the clock run our lives and often miss the opportunity to simply be still and enjoy the presence of God.

This week I am going to do a bit of that while I am here in San Diego. I am going to go to the seminars. But I am also going to spend some time walking and listening to God without the pressure of the clock. I know we all have obligations and can't always afford to take some time away, but I believe that we can't truly be effective at anything we do if we don't claim some sabbath time to be with the Lord.

So do yourself a favor. Leave your watch at home one day this week and take a little walk with God.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Walking with God, such a comfort.