Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's the music

I sat there looking at the ornate pipes and beautiful woodwork that filled the front of the United Congregational Church. They loomed larger than life over the pulpit, the communion table and the platform. As the organist played the first hymn, the sound of music filled the sanctuary and I could only imagine the majesty that this organ must have commanded in the 1920's when it was installed. The worshipers must have felt as though they had been ushered into the gates of heaven.

I know a lot of people think pipe organs are old fashioned and out of sync with today's modern worship options. So many of the churches that are trying to reach out to young people feature guitars, drums and horns. I love contemporary praise music. But there is nothing quite as powerful as the sound of a full rack of pipes singing out the tune of "How Great Thou Art." It is out of this world.

Looking at those pipes reminded me just how important the songs we sing are in retelling the story of our faith. The Word may be central. The table may be essential. The music is like a life giving river that brings it all together.

So go ahead and sing. Let the spirit of God flow in and through you and rise up to touch the face of God in the sanctuary of your choice.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I have always loved to sing, it soothes my soul.