Saturday, February 9, 2008

God sings our song

The thing I really liked about our church when I first came to Norwich several years ago was the fact that we were able to offer our congregation many different styles of music. I liked the old gospel songs. Adele liked the classical numbers. One of our older members really enjoyed Gaither tunes. Our teens wanted to sing contemporary praise choruses. We did them all here and I believe it blessed us.

Well tonight we took that a step further. We hosted Norwich's Spiritual Open Mic tonight. For the last year and a half Christ Episcopal Church has opened their doors to Christian artists who wanted to share their love of God's music with the community. It has been fun and I stopped in a few times to enjoy the offerings.

As I sat listening to the various artists, I was struck by the varied ways that God speaks to our hearts. Some sang traditional choruses. Others sang ballads. One man sang some songs with a patriotic twist. It reminded me that God does know each of us and He has found a way to communicate with us that resonates with our souls. He sings our songs.

There was a song I learned in Sunday school. It goes "In my heart there rings a melody, with heaven's harmony, a melody of love." That is the key to this music. It speaks of God's love and it speaks to each of us individually.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I love to sing, and I love to sing to my Lord.