Thursday, August 7, 2008

Thinking about the Pledge

It's election season and I can't help weigh in on a topic or two. A friend of mine sent me this video link to a special moment by Red Skelton. In this clip he talks about the Pledge of Allegiance and what it means to him. The clip reminds us that this great country really does belong to all of us. We are the ones who are responsible for its future.

In the coming weeks we will be able to choose the future leader of this country and the members of congress and local governments. I've heard a lot of people say that it doesn't matter and that they may not even vote. That makes me sad.

The truth is that God has given us great freedom and we live in a country where we can exercise that freedom to try and build a better future for us and our children. We do have a responsibility to listen to those who want to lead and make a choice between them. I don't think we need to discern who is more religious or who is more righteous. Our job is to determine who is most willing to be used and to serve.

You may agree or disagree with me, but I hope you will exercise your right and go out an vote when the time comes. The future of our country is in your hands. Enjoy this clip and think about what the Pledge of Allegiance means to you.

Cal



PS I went to see the movie SWing Vote and I have some thoughts on that I'll share a little later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this reminder and your comments and thank God we had people like Red who loved this country

Anonymous said...

This should be shown in all our schools-Thanks Cal.

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful video.