Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Our true self shining through

On Saturday night a group of us went to the Thomaston Opera House to see the musical Beauty and the Beast. It was a long drive but it was well worth it. Not only was the show enjoyable, but we got to see two people we know. Dana Daunis, Miss Connecticut 2007 played the lead role of Belle and Marissa Ranalli played one of the silly girls.

The cast was great and the show enjoyable, but I have to confess that I looked for the two ladies I knew and cherished every moment they were on stage. Why? Because I knew them. Through them the show became personal for me. I was also surprised to find out I knew a third person in the cast. I met one member of the ensemble earlier this summer when he served as a Judge for the teen pageant. That was cool.

It got me thinking about how this same concept, "knowing someone in the cast" applies to passing on our faith. When you live out your faith at work, at school or in your community involvements, you help make faith something personal for the people you know. They see you and me and how our faith is a vital part of how we lives our lives and they tuck that away. When crisis comes or when they are tested, they think of us and may very well turn to God.

That is why it is so important to be up front and honest about our faith. It is not a personal thing. It is not to be hidden away. Now I am not talking about pushing it in people's faces. I'm simply talking about being a child of God and letting his light shine through.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Let it shine brightly, so that others may see Him.