Thursday, August 21, 2008

The precious gift of life

I didn't want to do it. Whenever I visit a mom and her newborn baby in the hospital, I usually refrain from the temptation to hold the baby. I get a little nervous. It has been so long since I had my own. But the other day the proud mom insisted and I gave in.

I felt my breath slipping away as I looked down into his eyes and looked at his cute button nose. I stood in awe of the wonderful creative power of God. I was holding a miracle in my hands. The tiny fingers reach out as if to touch my face and my heart melted in that moment. Little Nathanial was not even one day old and he was already engaging the world around him.

I could not help but think back to the days when I watched each of my girls being delivered. From day one they each had their own personality. God had breathed life into each of them and from the moment they were conceived they became a gift from God.

I don't know what life will hold for the little guy, but I do know this: God loved him while he was still within his mother's womb. He has a plan for his life and one day Nathaniel will be living and reflecting God's glory. Yesterday I caught a glimpse of that and I was blessed.

Thank God for little babies. They remind us of God's love and give us a picture of his creativity at its very best. No wonder he chose to enter this world as a tiny child. In doing so he reminded us of his greatest ability. He can do anything using even the least of all things.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I love babies, so precious.