Thursday, January 17, 2008

Slow down cause you move too fast

I have a confession to make. I got stopped for speeding the other day. If you had asked me if I was speeding I would have sworn to you that I wasn't. I was just following the cars in front of me. The officer said I was doing 40 in a 25 mile per hour zone and I guess he would know because he had the radar gun and I wasn't looking at my speedometer. I was just going with the flow on autopilot.

It is funny how many things we do without thinking. We live a great deal of our life on automatic pilot. I have often caught myself making a turn onto Asylum Avenue from New London Turnpike as if I were heading to church when I really wanted to go to West Main Street and go grocery shopping at Shop Rite. I turned without thinking because I always turn when I get there. For thirteen years that was the way I went to go to church.

The misfortune of the other day forced me to think about speed limits and how I drive. I don't drive like a maniac but I am always a little distracted by life and thoughts and the radio. So I probably cruise on autopilot too much.

Life is too precious to cruise through without looking around and enjoying the ride. God has given us so much and we need to slow down and enjoy it. Are you rushing through your days? Then slow down and enjoy them before someone else comes along and pulls you over.

"This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!"

1 comment:

Denise said...

As my dear momma always said: stop, and smell the roses.