Thursday, January 3, 2008

The gift of humility

It is New Years and I was forced to think about Lent this morning. I had to tape a radio spot to promote the Good Friday "Way of the Cross" Procession that brings Christians from across the region together to focus on the passion of Christ. I know it won't be aired until next month but today it forced me to think about the humility that Jesus showed.

I was quite flattered when Shelley Martinez of WCTY recognized me and told me that she reads my weekly column in the Norwich Bulletin. After all, she is the big celebrity in town. I responded that I listen to her and Jimmy Lane every morning on the radio and enjoy their banter. Before my head could swell up too big I was doing my thing with the promo and it took at least seven or eight takes to get it right. Even then, Shelley had to do a quick fix to get it to fit. I was so lame I couldn't have made a worse impression. Life has a way of humbling us.

I was reminded of a story baseball manager Sparky Anderson told back in 1984 when his Detroit Tigers were off to a record 35- 5 start to the season. He says, "I was having breakfast with my wife in the coffee shop. A man at another table kept staring at me. I thought that either he was offended by my pipe or he wanted an autograph. He walked up and yelled 'Sparky Anderson, I'm from Dayton. When you managed Cincinnati I was a big fan of yours and I just want to thank you for all the happy times you gave us fans.' I thanked him for the compliment. Then he went on to say, 'By the way, what are you doing now?'"

Sparky goes on to say, "Here I am managing the hottest sports team anywhere and someone asks me what I am doing. If that doesn't tell you something about fame, nothing will. It is better to be humble. Then you won't fall all over yourself."

As I walk into this new year I want to keep in mind these verses from Philippians 2.

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.


Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I really enjoy visiting your blog daily, be blessed.