Friday, January 25, 2008

Go tell the good news


The phone rang at 1:30 a.m. this morning and I didn't get to it in time. I was zonked and I wasn't sure if it was real or a dream. Needless to say I did not stir from my bed. This morning I panicked when I saw the message light on. I wondered if there had been some emergency that arose and I had missed it. Unfortunately I have had a few of those midnight calls in my twenty five years in ministry.

As I hit the button on my machine I heard the voice of my friend Luis. He had a recent scare and spent a few days in the hospital so I immediately thought the worst. Then he said something about Dana Daunis and the Miss America program. I couldn't quite comprehend what he was saying so I played the message again. Turns out it was great news. Dana had won the talent competition last night and Luis had to share the good news with some friends.

Have you ever felt like that about Jesus? I know when I was young I wanted the whole world to know about him. That is all I would talk about. Something happens over time though. Too many of us lose the excitement of our initial encounter with Christ. When that happens, telling the good news of Jesus becomes an afterthought. I pray that I might always have the same kind of enthusiasm about Jesus that my friend Luis showed the other night with respect to Dana's performance. He was so excited that he thought enough to call me. He knew I would be excited too. so don't hold back. Tell your friends what Jesus has done for you and share that enthusiasm. They may just thank you for it.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I want to shout it outloud, God is so awesome.