Monday, January 7, 2008

Paper or plastic


I went grocery shopping tonight at a new store and didn't realize how much I missed having my groceries packed in paper bags until I actually got home.

My favorite grocery store stopped using paper bags a couple of years ago. I have continually made comments to employees about using plastic bags to no avail. I have called the corporate offices to make a complaint but have never had a call or email in return. Not only do I object to using the plastic which is really unfriendly to the environment, using them also has created all kinds of problems in just getting the groceries home. Several times the bags have ripped open and I ended up with broken bottles in my driveway. Bread and rolls have come home squished. Upside down pies, broken eggs, frozen food that slipped out of the bag under the car seat only to be found days later have been regular events. Because I like the store I have put up with it.

When I got home tonight I asked myself why? I didn't have any problems with my groceries and everything made the ride home without incident. It is obvious the owner of the other store doesn't care. So I decided tonight I have a new grocery store after twenty two years.

It made me think about the church. We are here to share the good news of God's redeeming love. That is priority number one. Sometimes we get caught up in side issues that make us feel good about ourselves. But it doesn't meet the needs of the broken hearted and those searching for God. Maybe that's why so many people have left the church and gone searching for their spirituality in other places.

In the coming year, I'm going to make it a point to do a little more listening in my ministry. I'm going to listen for the voice of God. I'm also going to listen to the voice of the people I meet every day. That way I won't be the one responsible for turning anyone away from the house of God.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

More listening, less talking. That could work my friend, bless you.