Monday, March 31, 2008

The hand that feeds us

I just don't understand my cat, Misty. We have raised her since she was a kitten and now at seven years old she seems like an ungrateful curmudgeon. I follow her around and let her out, feed her, fill her water dish, scratch her back, and let her sleep by my feet. Yet, when I want a little attention from her all she does is rear back at swat at me and try to bite my hand.

There is an old saying that says, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" that this cat hasn't heard. Of course I am foolish enough to ignore her rudeness and I just keep taking care of all her needs. I treat her like the queen of the house. Why? Because I love her and have since the day she came into our home.

I guess the same thing must be true of God. We treat him so badly at times. We ignore him. We neglect him. We call him all kinds of names and yet he still loves us and keeps blessing us. I'm so glad that he does. Maybe I need to stop being like my cat and start behaving more like a child of God. Then I can enjoy God's presence and his blessings too.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I totally understand, that is excactly how my cat precious acts, lol