Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Make time to be renewed and restored

On our 25th Wedding Anniversary my wife bought a grandfather clock for our new home. It seemed to fit in this classic Victorian era setting. I have always admired these larger than life time pieces. So for me it was a dream come true.

Since we acquired this lovely piece of furniture, I have been the one charged with keeping it going. That means that every week I have to wind it up and restore the weights and chimes to their original setting. It is no big deal. It only takes a few minutes. The only time it becomes a hassle is when I forget to do it and the clock runs completely down. Then I have to patiently restore the time and maneuver the hands on the clock to the correct positions. It takes to do this because you can't just push the hands forward. It has to be done in intervals over time.

As I was winding the clock this week, it struck me that we are very much like the grandfather clock. Each week we go to church and the worship experience brings us back into perfect alignment with our maker's specifications. We are in tune and recharged for another week. But if we miss a week, we tend to get out of sync and sometimes it takes a while to get back to where we were. It is almost as if our weekly worship experience allows God to lovingly reset all that has happened to us and put us back in proper alignment.

I know I enjoy winding my clock because I can admire it up close. I think God feels the same way when we come to him in worship and prayer. He is our creator and in ways we will never fully understand, when we are in tune with him, we reflect his glory to the world around us.

so if you are feeling wound down, go to church this week and let God renew your life.

Cal