Sunday, March 30, 2008

Simply doing our part

My daughter dances. Her troupe travels to regional and national competitions every year. In order to raise money to cover their expenses they hold several fund raisers throughout the year. Last night the girls hosted a spaghetti supper. After dinner they put on a performance for their guests.

The man who usually runs the sound for the group had another commitment and he asked me to fill in. He told me all I had to do was hit the pause button in between numbers and them hit play when the girls were ready. Sounds easy right?

As I stood behind the curtain I got very nervous. It dawned on me that no matter how prepared or how perfect the girls did on stage, if I messed up the sound they would look bad. No one would know it was me. A good sound man should not even be noticed. The more you goof up, the more you stand out and the focus comes off the performers and rests on you.

It made me think about our role as ambassadors for Christ. It is an important calling. But the key ingredient in being effective is to simply be open to Christ and let him shine through us. We don't have to have an special talents or abilities for Jesus to use us. All we have to do is remain faithful. He will do the rest.

I am happy to report that I didn't mess up last night. The girls looked great and everyone went away with a smile on their face. I pray I can do as well when God calls on me to do something for him.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Shine Jesus shine.