Thursday, March 6, 2008

Did I say that?

Who are you when no one is watching? That question came back to me last night at our church league basketball game. Our kids were beating the competition pretty thoroughly. It was 36 -1 at half-time. coach took the kids out in the hall and told them that we were going to slow it up the rest of the way. Despite their protests he told them our objective was not to humiliate our opponents, it was to play a game.

I followed up on Coach's comments and told them how proud I was of their play and their commitment. Most of these boys have been with the program for three or four years. I have come to know and like them. I encouraged them to listen to Coach and forget the score and to remember the other team had to have some dignity left when the game was over.

As the team went back into the gym, and older man came up to me and told me how much he appreciated our words. His grandson played on the other team. He said it was nice to know that even though they got beat, it was by kids who had a Christian attitude led by Christian coaches.

I didn't know anyone was listening. I would not have said anything differently if I had known. But my heart was touched by his words. I know I try to live by what I preach. On the other hand I know that too many times I have stumbled and said unkind words and done things that would make God shake his head.

We never know what impact our words or deeds may have on another. I guess that is why it is important to always think before we speak and think before we act. The scriptures say that we were bought with a price. That means we belong to Christ now. I pray that you may be blessed to find out that your words have touched another even when you thought no one as listening. It comes back to you as a blessing.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

This is so true my friend.