Monday, March 17, 2008

Lessons on a day off

I took today off and went to the movies. I was running a little late and was worried I would miss the start of the movie. I got there and was sure the movie had already started. But then the girl at the ticket window said, "I'll have him start the movie now. You are the only one today."

I laughed and a couple of thoughts hit me. First it was cool to think that they were running that movie just for me. I know they hadn't intended it that way but it worked out as if it was meant to be. I thought about this being holy week and the fact that although Jesus gave his life for the world, his death impacted me in a personal way. His death on the cross took away my sins. One theologian suggested that if I were the only one with sin, he would have still went to the cross for me. That is awesome.

Second, I realized that I almost missed going to the movies and my private screening because I knew was running late. I was tempted to turn around and go back but something called me to keep going. So often we don't follow through on things and rationalize all kinds of good reasons for not doing so. Today reminded me that when we don't answer the call to do something we often miss out on unexpected blessings.

Even on my day off, God had something to teach me. Praise God.

Cal

2 comments:

Denise said...

God teaches us such awesome lessons.

Timothy said...

But what movie was it ? :-)