Monday, March 10, 2008

Standing in the wings

My friend Patty pulled out the brochure and said, "This is my claim to fame. Do you see me there on stage at Miss America?" I looked at the brochure and all I could see was Dana Daunis, Miss Connecticut. I laughed and asked her if she was kidding. "That's Dana there. Are you kidding me?"

She looked at me and said, "No. I'm right there. Can't you see me?" Then I noticed a shadowy figure off in the wings. Suddenly it dawned on me that Patty was there on stage at the Miss America Pageant. It was as clear as day but you could only see her if you were looking for her.

I have to explain. Patty has served as the voice coach for the last three women to serve as Miss Connecticut. Each year she has made the trip to the Pageant in Las Vegas. This year the contestants got to have a member of their state committee on stage with them during their performance. Patty was chosen and was there when that particular photo on the cover of the brochure was taken.

As I thought about this it struck me that for people of faith, Jesus is always in the picture when the spot light is on us. A lot of people will only look hard enough to see us doing whatever we do. But when people look with the eyes of faith they can always see Jesus standing in the wings. That is good news. Our Lord is always there to root us on and encourage us. Thanks be to God.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

God is my biggest cheerleader.