Thursday, September 18, 2008

Count your blessings

After spending nine days in Sydney, Australia I returned home today with a greater appreciation for the little things in my life. Don't get me wrong. I had a great time and I would go back in a minute. Being away has helped me step back and put all the things I have and do back home here in perspective.

We don't have kookaburras, koala bears and Tasmanian devils, but we do have family pets that love us. I returned home and Misty, my cat, almost seemed to let me know she missed me. She meowed loudly and ran to her pet dish. I also saw a robin outside my window this morning. You can't find them in Australia!

I got on my computer and had a strong signal. I know we pay a lot of Internet but it is nice to know that it is going through when you hit send. I lost so many blog entries and photo uploads that if I was a swearing man, you would have thought there was a lumberjack in my daughter's apartment. As it was they probably thought someone was getting killed with all the crying.

I actually enjoyed driving down to the church today. In Australia they drive on the opposite side of the road. It is a cool thought when you are not sitting in the driver's side with someone else actually taking the wheel. It's really like having a back seat driver not only telling you where to go but then doing the driving and leaving you feel responsible for what happens. I don't think I will ever get used to seeing a car pull into your lane and then after a mild heart palpitation suddenly realize it isn't your lane.

I also will never complain about my bed again. After spending close to seventy two hours in the last nine days in an upright position or in a slightly reclining seat, anything that lies in a horizontal position and has a bit of padding is heavenly.

I could go on and on but I can't help but think that too many of us take the little things in life for granted. We look at what we have or what we do or even the people in our lives and we think that if only things were different we would be happier. The problem is that if we can't be happy with what we have, what makes us think we can enjoy whatever we might get in the future.

I think real appreciation begins right where we are. The happiest people I know are not necessarily the richest or those with the greatest amount of possessions. The happiest people I know are content with what they already have in their lives and learn to appreciate whatever else comes their way.

Here is my challenge for you today. Look around you and find ten things to thank God for. The next day look around you and find nine different things to give thanks for. On the third day try to find eight different things and continue this pattern until the tenth day. Write them down each day and then count your blessing and name them. I believe you will find you have more than you thought you did.

It is nice to be home and I thank God for the printer I have at home that only needs an ink cartridge to get it up and running again.

Cal

No comments: