Monday, November 9, 2009

To see like a child

I got my Star Trek Jersey in the mail today. I felt like a little kid when I saw the package from Battle Creek, Michigan. I sent away for it with my two box tops and $9.99 back in August. It took me back forty years to the last time I sent away for something off of a cereal box. It was Honeycomb cereal back then and I wanted a record by the Archies. I can tell you that I was just as excited today.

It is a silly thing. It reminded me that no matter how old you get, there is still a child inside of us. It gets buried beneath the gray hair, the pot belly, the wrinkles and the diplomas. We have expectations on how we should act and what we should think. But every once in a while that child sneaks out and reminds us that it is still alive and well in there.

I think that's a good thing. For Jesus said that the kingdom of God belongs to the children. It belongs to those who can see beyond their own biases and prejudices. It belongs to those who can believe in that which they can't see. I want that child in me to lead me to God's kingdom and as long as I know it is still there, I can continue to hope. So can you.

Cal

No comments: