Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Thanking God for the simple things

Her mom was busy buckling her baby sister into the car seat when I first noticed her. She was standing beside the car next to her mother oblivious to what was happening next to her. She was looking up and reaching out with her tongue to catch the rain drops that were coming down. The fact that her face was getting wet didn't matter to her. It was the joy of catching a single drop on her tongue that brought delight to her soul.

How do I know? Because I was transported back in time as I watched this little girl play in the rain. I could see myself standing there in a similar situation enjoying the raindrops on my tongue. It's been years since I felt that simple pleasure. What happens to us as we grow up? We lose sight of the simple pleasures in life.

I was listening to the radio this afternoon and "Escape," (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes came on. I probably shouldn't use it as a reference in this church column but it speaks to a truth we all know. We get so sidetracked by lesser things in life that we lose sight of the blessings God has given us. That's what the song is all about. The man is bored with his life and feeling unappreciated by his wife when he sees a personal ad in the paper. He responds only to find the other person is his wife. They laugh and realize that they had taken each other for granted.

There is a hymn I grew up with that calls for us to "count your many blessings , name them one by one and you will see all the things the Lord has done." We need to live life like this. We need to enjoy the simple blessings that God has given us. We need to slow down, stick out our tongues and catch the mercy drops that are falling all around us.

That little girl was blessed and I pray you will be too.

Cal

No comments: