Thursday, November 19, 2009

How do I love thee...

I watched an episode of House tonight and it was a powerful reminder of how precious life is. The long and short of the episode was that a woman's heart and major organs had failed and she was being kept alive by machines. They brought her out of her medically induced coma so she and her husband could say good bye.

It made me think about what I would do if I awoke one day with the knowledge that I had hours to live. We take so much for granted. The truth is that most of us abuse our relationships with the people who are closest to us in life. We jump on our kids and criticize them for what they do. We nag our spouses for the things they don't do. We blame our parents for the things that we imagine they did to us. Instead of thanking God for the special people in our lives, we waste so much time.

My mom died when I was thirteen years old. That taught me how precious life was and that it doesn't last forever. Yet I am still guilty of forgetting to tell the important people in my life how much I love them. I'd like to encourage you to make it a point to tell those special people how much love them every single day. While you are at it, don't forget to tell God you love him too.

Cal

No comments: