Thursday, November 5, 2009

Let God help you decide

I had an hour and a half to get from Norwich to New Haven. I even thought about stopping at the Clinton Outlets for a few minutes to stretch my legs. I was sailing along down route 395 and had just come over the hill when I saw the line of traffic in the distance ahead. I knew it was going to be a problem. I was never going to meet Rebecca's train on time if this hold up was what it appeared to be: an accident on route 95.

I caught up with the cars in front of me and for the next half hour we inched ahead. Then we stopped for a solid ten minutes. I was a mile from the exit when the slow down started. As I came to the exit I had a choice to make. Should I continue on the highway and hope that the disturbance would clear up quickly or try to take an alternate route I had never been on before?

I laughed as I thought about how we are forced to make this kind of choice every day. We come up against roadblocks and difficulties in our lives and have a choice to make. Wait and hope things get better or strike out and take an alternate route. The decision is always hard. We are often stopped in our tracks because we are afraid to make the wrong choice. too often we end up making a choice by not choosing. That's no way to live.

Last night as I sat in traffic and moved beyond aggravation into resignation, I quietly prayed and asked God to help me decide. My rationale mind kicked into gear and I chose the alternate route. Even though I was unfamiliar with it, I had a feeling it would lead me where I wanted to go. I got off the highway and began to move again and i thanked God.

The truth is that I don't know which way proved quicker but I made the choice with God's help and I got to where I wanted to go. The same is true in life. When you have a tough decision to make, talk to God. Ask Him for direction, wisdom and to help you make that choice. Then go with your gut and move forward. God will be with you and He will direct your steps and lead you on.

Cal

No comments: