Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A friend indeed

I have a friend of mine who feels obliged to tell me when i have put on a little weight. He is kind and offers it as a gentle nudge. The truth is that I know better than anyone else when my weight has gone up. I am a nut about getting on the scale. I hop on every day and watch the fluctuations and stress when I go up a pound and celebrate when I go down a pound.

I can also see it every time I look in the mirror or put on and old pair of pants. I really don't need anyone to tell me about it. But then again, that is what good friends are for. They usually say these things because they care. They know their words can't change anything, but they hope by pointing out what is happening, in a loving way, they might be able to encourage us.

The truth is that it doesn't bother me to have him say this because I know he cares. The truth is that the same is true when reading God's Word. There are reminders in there on how to live life and how to find God's blessing. There are things in the Book that tell us that we'll get ourselves in trouble if we keep doing certain things. God doesn't put it there to nag us. He puts it there because he loves us.

We know when we are doing things that will cause us pain. Sometimes we deny it for a while, but deep down we do know, don't we. so let's come clean and fess us and then try to do something about it. That same friend who tells me when I am gaining weight will also be the first one to notice when I have lost and am looking good. Now that is a friend. He or she sticks with you through thick or thin. :-)

God bless. Have a good day.

Your chubby friend, Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Blessings to you from your chubby friend, lol