Wednesday, April 23, 2008

He makes us complete

I read an article that pointed out that most people do not like to admit that they aren't good at anything. When asked about their strengths on a job application they will not hesitate to list four or five things they can do well. But when asked about the areas where they need help, most people will balk at the question. Why is that?

We all really do know that we can't do everything. I am not a good artist. I may try to draw something but I am honest enough to admit it isn't my strong suit. I figure I better tell you up front because you are going to find out pretty quickly if I don't. It is common sense but the truth remains we don't 'fess up without a lot of arm twisting.

I think modern society pushes us to pretend that we are more capable than we are. We are supposed to be self sufficient, super moms and dads, all knowing spouses and extraordinary employees. It has become so prevalent in society that when we do fail or when we realize we can't do it all, we beat ourselves us.

Well here is the Good News: Jesus says when we are weak, he is strong. He says that where we lack, he has plenty to give. When we realize that we can't do something and call on him, he steps in and takes over.

I think it is about time we throw off society's straight-jacket and confess that we need the Lord. Life is tough. God gives us just what we need to succeed. The prophet Isaiah says it best:

"Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."

So go to God and find your strength.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

God is my strength.