Monday, April 28, 2008

Better than I imagined

I discovered last night that Colbie Caillat knows more than one song. I went to the concert with my daughter Sarah last night and got the thrill of a life by sitting twelve rows from the stage. I almost felt like I was right up there with her and the band and she was singing to me. I know that sounds dramatic but it really was that intimate.

The only concerts that I have been to in the last twenty five years have been the kind where the band director says "the kids have been working real hard..." Actually the last rock concert I remember going to was in New Haven back in 1980 to see the group Queen. I think they are all dead and the Colosseum was torn down and replaced with a parking lot.

Anyway we arrived early and found a free parking spot near the Boston Common. We went to the theater and found our seats and took in the scene. At 7:35 a young man came out with his band and began playing. He was very good. But he didn't introduce himself. He just sang one song after another as if we were supposed to know him. At one point I asked Sarah if maybe he was a different Colbie Caillat and we got snookered. It was a funny thought. It turns out that he was one of Colbie's best friends and fellow song writer.

She came out just after 9:00 p.m. with her band and I was already to dial up my friend and let him listen to "Bubbly" live. After all, they were his tickets. He made the night possible. She started with a very nice song. I leaned over to Sarah and said, "That's a good one too! As she started her third song I thought "Bubbly" must be next. It wasn't. She did song after song and they were all good. I had been joking about a one hit wonder before I came because I only knew one of her songs. The truth is that there was an awful lot more to Colbie than I ever dreamed possible. She is going to be a major star in her own right.

It made me think of the first disciples who were there to see Jesus when he was baptized by John. I can imagine Andrew saying "This Jesus is really good. I think he could be the messiah. Let's follow him and see what he can do." I am sure Andrew had no idea just how big Jesus was. Only time would reveal that.

The same is true today when we introduce a friend to Christ. They only see one little part of all he is and what he has to offer. Maybe they see him as a way to answered prayer. Perhaps they see Jesus as a door into community. It could be that they see Jesus as a way to find forgiveness and a fresh start. Maybe they see in Jesus a friend they never had. Only after being with him a while can they fully appreciate all his gifts and the depth of his love and compassion for us and the world around us.

You might even see that once you are with Jesus your eyes are opened. Remember that when you are sharing your faith with a friend. You already know how great Jesus is. It will take them a little time but it won't be long before they are singing his praises too!

Here are some pictures of Colbie Caillat. She is going to be a big star. I got to see her at the beginning thanks to a friend who opened the door for me. I pray that you and I may do the same for our friends when it comes to meeting Jesus.

Cal


1 comment:

Denise said...

So glad you enjoyed the concert my friend.