Monday, April 7, 2008

Finding an open door

Tonight I took a trip down memory lane. I headed back to my hometown for a meeting of the alumni association of my high school. I got to the meeting place and found the door locked. I walked around the building but couldn't find anyone so I left.

I found out afterwards that the group was meeting downstairs and there as another door that I hadn't noticed. Most of the group had been meeting regularly so everyone else knew how to get in and they took it for granted that we all knew how to get in.

Now don't laugh but that same thing happens in some of our churches. We take so much for granted. We think everyone knows the ins and outs of church life. I'll never forget my first summer at the church. We decided to meet down in fellowship hall because it was cooler. Our head deacon got there and I suggested we put a sign on the front door telling people to go around. He looked at e and said, "Why? Everyone knows we'll be down stairs today."

I replied, "what about visitors?" He said, "We never get visitors during the summer." I think I know why.

I think we always need to be mindful of others when it comes to church life. We take what we say and do for granted. We are called to welcome the stranger and that means helping them find the door, a place to fit in and a place to share their faith. Are you doing that in your church? I know I have to continually ask myself that question.

A friend of mine is coming to church now and each week he has been sharing his experiences. It is so funny to hear him talk because he sees things in a totally different light than those of us who have been coming for years. It is refreshing and I am sure it help us as we seek to be an inviting place.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Such truth in all of your post, bless you my friend.