Monday, September 28, 2009


I hope it isn't an omen for the current edition of the Detroit Tiger's baseball team, but today the team remembered and celebrated the 25th Anniversary of the last Tiger's World Series winners. Because of the rain, they moved the reunion inside and it wasn't quite the party they hoped for.

The current edition of the Tigers is trying to hold on and withstand the storm that is carrying the Minnesota Twins along. For the next four days, the teams will tangle and whoever comes out on top, will be going to the play-offs.

I'm hoping that these guys coming back will inspire the 2009 edition of the Tigers. Seeing and talking to Alan Trammell and Jack Morris, Dan Petry and Lance Parrish, Darrell Evans and Larry Herndon will remind the guys to hold their heads high and to go out there with the swagger that champions have.

I came of age with that team. Just as I was taking the world by storm as a young pastor, they were heading to the World Series. They were my team. They inspired me that summer and made me believe.

As I thought about that, it made me think about the church. In a perfect world the church should do the same thing for us. It should inspire us to reach out with the love of God to transform the world. Unfortunately the church, like my team, has had its ups and downs over the years. Sometimes human pride gets in the way and we end up losing favor. Sometimes we reach out and fight for justice and we come away with a world series type win.

Ask Sparky Anderson and he will tell you that the key to winning is to keep your eye on the ball. When the church keeps its eyes on Jesus and follows his lead, we will always come away winners. I'm not sure what the Tigers will do this year, but I have high hopes for the church.

Cal

No comments: