Friday, May 30, 2008

Run it out

I should have known better. I am the manager. Tonight I hit the ball to the shortstop and when he fielded it and tossed it to second base for a fielder's choice, I practically stopped running to first. The problem was that there was only one out and my lack of running it out allowed the second baseman to complete a double play to end the inning.

I don't know how many times over the years I have told my players to run everything out. I can't tell you how often I have told them that they have to keep their heads in the game. Tonight I didn't do either one. Not only did I stop but I had no idea that there was only one out. I actually went up to the plate thinking that we had two outs. I was too worried about my own at bat and as a result I cost us a run or two.

Missed opportunities are the result of losing our focus. It is true in sports and it is true in our Christian walk. Jesus calls us to keep our eyes on him if we want to transform the world for God. Too many times we get caught up in other things and lose sight of Christ. As a result our friends and neighbors see us with mixed allegiance to Christ. We stumble and falter and are not as effective in our witness as we might be.

So next time you step up to the plate, make sure you know the score and the situation so you can be prepared.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Sweet friend, do not be so hard on your self. You will do better next time.