Thursday, March 29, 2007

A love that is far reaching

I took a walk this evening and was overcome by the vastness of the universe when I looked up into the night sky and saw the stars. The words of the psalmist came to me and I thought of the One who created the heavens and the earth. I thought to myself, "How could God really care for me? I am so insignificant in the grand scheme of themes. I am nothing and yet, the Bible tells me that I am so important to God that he sent his son to die in my place.

I think sometimes we try to minimze this because it seems so absurd. We try to make Jesus' death sound less personal as though he died for "the whole world." No matter how you slice it though, the reality is that he would have given his life for just one person. He died for you. He died for me. He became the sacrifice that was required so God could be with us forever just like it was intended from the beginning.

The vastness of the universe was breeched so that God could step down out of heaven to be with us. Now that really is something in which we can stand in awe.

Cal

No comments: