Sunday, March 4, 2007

Letting go isn't easy

It was almost comical, but it was very sad when you really think about it. Lori was going through our closet last night and she wanted to clean out the clothing that no longer fit or was in some state of disrepair.

It was fine when she was throwing away her clothing. Then she got to mine. I actually began to have the shakes as she pulled out sports coats I hadn't worn in years and suggested throwing them away. I had shirts that had missing buttons on and stains on the collars that were just taking up space and when she asked me, I told her she couldn't toss them.

It was ridiculous. Even I saw the folly in it. It begged the question: Why do we some of us cling to stuff? Why do we put so much value in our possessions. I keep thinking of the Bible verse where Jesus suggests that we put our heart in places where moth and rust cannot get at it.

Do you need to do some "spring cleaning?" What is it that you are clinging to in your life that you need to let go of? Maybe we can do it together.

No comments: