Monday, March 5, 2007

Pray and it will relieve your stress

I found a crushed can of Busch Beer on our front lawn this morning. At first I was a bit angry. Why would someone toss this garbage on our lawn? What if someone saw it and thought it was ours? We don't even drink beer. I looked at the offensive piece of trash and felt the heat rising within me. I took a couple of deep breathes. Then I picked it up and threw it away.

Stuff happens in life. We can't control what other people do. We can control the way we respond to it though. Some of us let every little thing set us off and destroy our day. That is not healthy and it often leads to stress related illnesses. We need to listen to the word of Jesus who told us not to worry about things. He told us not to take things so personally and to turn the other cheek. He told us to pray for those who persecute us. He had the right perspective.

So this morning I am going to pray for that person who threw the beer can on our lawn. I pray they made it home safely last night and that God will watch over them. Who are you going to pray for this morning? Who has set you off? Pray for them. It feels good. Believe me, it is better than stressing over it.

Cal

No comments: