Sunday, May 10, 2009

What a friend

I watched the movie Marley and Me tonight. I have to confess I was nearly in tears at the end. The relationship between John, the family and the dog was so real to life. It brought back memories of a year and a half ago when I had to face the same reality that my dog, Praise, had come to the end of the line.

It is amazing how strong of a bond we forge with our dogs. They can't talk to us. They can't debate sports or politics or theology. Yet they give us that unconditional love. I know Praise was there for me on some of my most difficult days. He would simply lay at my feet and listen as I got things off my chest. Then sometimes, as if he understood, he'd get up and nudge me.

I don't know what it is about dogs, but they must be a gift from God. I think God knew that there would be moments when we would need to know that someone cared. People are too fickle. So he created dogs to remind us that he was always just a whisper away. I think he even chose the name, a kind of secret joke between them and him. Have you ever noticed that dog spelled backwards is G-O-D. Funny isn't it?

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Such a cute post.