Wednesday, May 13, 2009

He can calm the sea

We welcomed the Eastern University Touring Choir to town tonight and were blessed with a great musical program. About fifty people were on hand for the concert. It was a blessing to all who were there. So why didn't more people come out to hear them?

Some didn't hear about it until it was too late. Others had other commitments. Some of us were just exhausted from our routine. I am sure there were plenty of reasons including the fact that American Idol was on television.

The truth is that we miss out on a lot of great opportunities because we are just too busy. I don't know how to solve the problem. I'm in the same boat.

I can't help but think of the story of Jesus sleeping in the back of the boat. The storm was raging. The disciples were afraid. They thought the boat might capsize. Then he woke up and he calmed the sea. All he said was "Peace be still" and the whole world changed in a flash.

Maybe we need to call on Jesus to speak peace to our world. Maybe we need to get his help to calm the seas that push us so fast and furious and never allow us to rest. We hear him say "Come unto me and I will give you rest." So what is stopping us? Let's ask him to speak peace into our world.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I am in agreement with you my friend.