Monday, May 11, 2009

The roles we play

This morning I came across this interview on Myspace. It features the two stars of the new Star Trek movie, Chris Pine and Zach Quinto. They talk about their experiences in making the movie and give us a little taste of the action behind the scenes.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=56719958

I have to confess that as they began talking I didn't really like it. It took away some of the mystique behind the characters that I enjoyed watching the other day. These were just two young guys playing roles. Yet as the interview continued, I began to admire them both as individuals. I realized that they were both pretty cool and i like them.

Instead of diminishing the characters, it actually added depth to what I saw. It made me think about the fact that as preachers, as Christians, as believers, we are often seen by others in a different light when we are in public. Even if we don't pretend to be someone different, others who know us in those roles, see us a certain way.

The truth is that when we meet someone out of context, it can really throw us for a loop. For example, when I talk about being a trekkie or a raving Detroit Tiger fan, some people don't know what to make of it. They have only seen me as a pastor. Yet once they get to know me and see that I am just like them in so many ways, it actually enhances our relationship. The fact that I am like them and not afraid to share my love of Jesus becomes a point where we can bond and grow together.

So never be afraid to be yourself. Let God shine through you. You will be amazed at the people you meet who will one day become your friends as you seek to serve God.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Amen, well said my friend.