Thursday, May 21, 2009

A strange encounter

I was standing in line waiting to go into the hall for graduation when a second line opened up and my girls heeded the man's instructions and stepped to the line to the left. As I stepped out I heard a voice behind me say something. Then a short little woman sneered at me and said to her friend, "Some people think they are special."

I turned and said, "Excuse me." I wasn't quite sure what had happened. "She ignored me and continued to talk to her friend as if I wasn't there. I apologized and continued to walk but she kept going on and on. I couldn't believe it. So I turned to her and said, "I guess we are all a little excited. You have someone graduating today?" She looked at me and said. "I have no interest in sharing small talk with you. Now get out of my way."

I can tell you that I have never met anyone so rude in my life. I still couldn't believe the encounter fifteen minutes later. I guess that's because even in my wildest dreams, I could never be that rude to anyone I met.

It made me wonder what had happened in her life. She must have been hurt awfully bad. Something must have gone terribly wrong to color her life with such a dark cloud. I guess that is why you and I are needed in this world. My last words to her were simply, "God bless you. I hope you enjoy the graduation." Late last night I thought about that woman again and this time I said I real prayer for her. May she find the peace of God.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

May God sweetly bless that woman.