Thursday, January 6, 2011

The God of second chances

I read where my Detroit Tigers were thinking about giving Brad Penny an opportunity to catch on with the team this year. He is a free agent who was hurt for much of last season. Our general manager says that he believes Penny can still pitch and make a valuable contribution to a team.

I thought about this and was reminded of the way God takes us, broken with an uncertain future, and gives us a second chance. He offers us forgiveness and the opportunity to turn our lives around so that we can reflect his glory.

I went through a severe depression in my second year of college and began drinking to relieve some of the pain. It didn't help. It actually made things worse. I ended up flunking out of school. All my dreams seemed to go right down the drain. Yet, thanks to the love of a few special people in my life, I was able to turn things around. I got a second chance and made the most of it. I finished school, went on to get my Masters and Doctorate.

Today I am blessed to be the pastor of a great church and am able to share the love of God through the church to the whole community. It all happened because of the grace of God. God is so good. It happened for me and it can happen to you to. All you need to do is ask him.

If your life is a mess right now, invite God to come into your life and he will give you a second chance and help you start over. So what are you waiting for?

By the way: I hope Brad Penny is a tiger next year and that he recaptures the magic he had a few years ago.

Peace. Cal

No comments: