Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sewing seeds of faith

He didn't even remember me. Dick Bausman was the man who encouraged me to take a student pastorate during my seminary days. He was my practicum leader in my second year of seminary. He told me that I had good instincts for ministry and suggested I see Dr. Orlando Tibbetts about candidating for a position in a small church in Rhode Island. His reference and encouragement led to me accepting the call to my first church, the Cross Mills Baptist Church in Chalrestown, Rhode Island.

On Saturday I saw him for the first time in 25 years and he had no clue who I was. I had to laugh. I had followed his career from afar, always noting where he was. He was one of those men who had been influential in my life and I was a blip on his radar screen that had long since disappeared.

Don't get me wrong. I am not stewing over it. Actually it made me realize just how God works in getting things done. He uses us to plant seeds in everything we do. God uses every word, every smile, every bit of love and encouragement to reach people and touch their lives. We might have an effect on somebody we meet along the way and not even aware of it.

As if to punctuate this point, God with his great sense of humor, set me up this morning. At 6:00 a.m. I went to McDonalds for a bagel and a coffee. As I was standing in line waiting for my order, one of the ladies who worked there looked at me and said, "I know you!" She looked vaguely familiar but I couldn't place her. She continued, "You married me in New London last year." I said, "Congratulations. I hope you guys are still going strong."

So you never know the good you will do. Just keep following Jesus and you will be a blessing to those you meet.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I have decided to follow Jesus, no turning back. I love that song, it says how I feel.