Saturday, August 25, 2007

You can go back

Yesterday I went to Ocean Beach with my daughter. It was the first time I have been back to that beach since I was a teenager in the 1970's. I was doing the "old guy" thing with Rachel and telling her all about my memories of Ocean Beach. She was very kind and at least pretended to listen.

When we got there I helped her set up on the beach and then took a stroll down memory lane. I wandered into the arcade. It looked much smaller than it did back then. The good news was that I could still play a pinball game for a quarter... and I did. I walked over to the pool and looked in as the memories flooded back to me. Every week I came down here with the Colchester rec department and it was great.

I know the owners might not want to hear this, but Ocean Beach hasn't changed much in thirty five years. It has received a few face lifts and undergone a few upgrades, but the essence of what was there when I was a child remains. It is a great place to swim and have good clean fun.

I think the same thing is true about church. Over the years we add new programs and our music changes but the love of god and the worship and adoration of our Lord has been and always will be the essence of what we find there.

So if you have been away from church for a while, why not come back and discover the joy of your youth.

Cal

No comments: