Monday, August 27, 2007

Carrying the heavy load

I didn't feel like waiting because the line was too long. So instead of waiting for the elevator I carried the mini refrigerator up four flights of stairs to my daughter's room at UCONN. I got to the top and felt pretty good. It was that macho type feeling where you had just done something no one else could do. I even chuckled to myself as I thought about telling my friends how tough I was to have carried a fridge that far.

I made one more trip up the stairs with a basket of clothes and I was done. That first trip had sapped me of all my strength. The problem was that there was still a lot of stuff to bring up the stairs.

It made me think of a lot of new Christians who are so fired up about their faith. They go all out for the first several months telling everyone they know about Jesus. They go to church two, three times a week. They attend Bible Studies, go to every church function, attend conferences and make the rest of us tired just by watching their enthusiasm. Then they flame out.

There has got to be a better way. I think we need to remember that we are in this for the long haul. Everything doesn't need to be done today. We have time. Our goal is not to finish first, it is to answer God's call and complete the job.

I decided to use the elevator to bring the rest of the stuff upstairs on Saturday. We waited in line for fifteen minutes and then fit all of Sarah's stuff on the elevator and we went up together. It was much easier and much more effective that way. So it is in our Christian calling as well.

cal

No comments: