Sunday, August 26, 2007

With God every day

I pulled out my prop for the Children's Story during worship only to discover that the batteries were dead. I was going to use my remote camera flash to talk about how we needed to be connected in order to walk, see, live, take pictures in the light. I quickly ran to my stash of batteries and no matter what I did the flash did not work.

My friend Matt gave me the remote flash a couple of years ago. I used it quite a bit in those first few months. Then I stopped using it. I don't know why. I just got involved in other things. Then I got a new camera and I didn't need it any more. As I struggled to get it to work so I could make my point, a thought hit me. I was making my point without even using the flash.

Some of us think we can enjoy a great relationship with God even though we never visit him or make time for him. We think that even if we slipped away or moved onto other things, we can rekindle the same warm relationship by simply showing up on his doorstep.

The truth is that a rich relationship with God takes place over time. The more time we spend with God, the deeper our communion grows with him. So don't put God on a shelf until you need him. spend a little time with God every day and you can be sure he will be there when you really do need him.

Cal

No comments: