Thursday, June 11, 2009

Garbage in, garbage out

I sometimes listen to Delilah on the radio. She takes requests and dedications and really gives you a "feel good" show. Several months ago she announced that you could sign up to get her daily musings. I did. I've really enjoyed them. Today I opened my email and found this one that I want to share with you.

Garbage In, Garbage Out

I listen to the lyrics of popular music right now on some of the other radio stations and I have to turn it off because it jars my spirit. It assaults my soul. For the same reason, I can't watch chainsaw thrillers because I don't want those nasty images in my mind.

Why would you want that garbage in you? If you put garbage in, garbage is what will come out in your language, your thoughts, the way you treat people.... Don't put things in your mind that will destroy your humanity and hurt your heart or cause you to think callous thoughts or disrespect others.

Why would you want to let your kids play video games where they can drive cars that run over people or assault people with weapons? Why would you listen to lyrics that are degrading to a certain gender or race?

Don't let those images and those words enter your mind. I know it's hard to avoid because it's everywhere but that doesn't mean you have to partake willingly. Don't take part and don't allow yourself to become callous to human life...and death.


That's good advice and I wish I had said it. Since I didn't, I'm passing it on.

Cal

2 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, I enjoy listening to her.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree and I try to be selective. The music and movies won't stop, so it's our choice what to listen to and watch.