Monday, March 16, 2009

Using a time tested method to deliver of the gospel

It's funny how things change in such a short time. I went to Best Buy today to see if I could find a CD player for church. We have been thinking about adding this component to our sound system but just haven't gotten around to it. As I walked through the store I was struck by how the technology in home/ audio/video had changed over the last few years. I only found one CD player. So much of the sound equipment now is tied into MP3 devices. As I walked through the section with televisions I walked through all kinds of blue ray disk players and flat screen TVs. I felt so out of touch.

It made me think about the people who we're trying to reach with gospel today. This is a different world from the one many of us grew up in. The old time preacher and gospel hymn sing are competing with HD video and surround sound.

I don't think we can compete with this but it is a wake up call to us remember to do our best as we seek ways to tell God's story. I think it is even more important for us to realize that the best way to share the good news is through living the gospel and sharing our stories. Nothing will ever replace the personal relationships we have that allow us to become a part of one another's lives. It is in these relationships that God works best. Blue ray and HD cannot compete.

So love your neighbor and share your story. That never gets old.

Cal

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cal, I am an evagelist who lives in Florida with my bride, Christie. I am an "old time preacher" who believes in the message of Salvation. We, as a country, have become so technologically "advanced" and so spiritually bankrupt....a very sad commentary. By the way, I graduated from the old Hampton (CT) Consolidated School in 1958 and Putnam High High in 1962. I appreciate your commentaries.

Steve said...

Cal,my previous comment was under "Anonymous" at 10:32 AM. Sorry....but the end of my comment should have read "Putnam High School in 1962".