Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Prayer is your gift to a friend

This past weekend I became a patient instead of a person who visits patients. While I was at the Yale New Haven Hospital the Chaplain stopped in to visit. We had a nice talk and found that we had several common connections. It immediately put me at ease.

After a few minutes she came to that awkward pause that often comes in a pastoral visit. I knew she was trying to determine if she should offer to pray with me or not. I have been in that spot before especially with someone I don't know that well. She was saved by the nurse who came in to draw blood so she said her good byes and left.

Afterwards it got me thinking. How do we know when it is appropriate to pray with someone going through a tough time? I think the answer is to simply ask. Let the person you are visiting tell you. I know that I always covet pray. I would have told her to "go ahead." People will also tell you "no thanks." You will never know unless you ask.

I want to encourage you to be bold with people you know, especially if you have a good relationship with them. There is nothing more powerful that you can do for someone you care about than to pray with them. It says you care deeply and want the best for them. Afterall prayer is taking their concerns and well being and bringing it to God's attention.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Cal-I hope you are not in for anything serious but will keep you in my prayers. The God who created us, sustains us-looking forward to your recovery-will visit First baptist soon.