Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Do it yourself

I was expecting Sue to come by this morning. Every two weeks she comes in to do some light housekeeping. She mops the floors, washes the counter tops, goes over the bathrooms and does some vacuuming and dusting. In order to get ready for her to come in I usually make sure all the dishes are washed and the house is picked up.

I was running late this morning so I was feeling a bit frustrated. My daughter had a friend over and they did some baking and the sink was filled with pots and pans. I was rushing around like mad trying to get things in order for Sue when the call came. She had to go to another job and wanted to know if it was alright if she skipped us this week.

The funny thing is that although I was disappointed, I was a bit relieved. I finished up the dishes and then went about the house dusting and picking up and by the time I was finished, everything looked pretty good.

It made me think about the number of times we expect other people to do things and get disappointed when things don't work out. Maybe in those moments we are being called to take the initiative and do it ourselves. Maybe we are the "somebody" that God is calling to do the job that day.

Have you been thinking of someone recently. Then give them a call, drop them a card or go visit them. someone else could do it, but maybe God is calling you to do it today.

Cal

No comments: