Thursday, February 22, 2007

Giving them good news

As I was coming home this afternoon I noticed a news van parked on an overpass. My first thought was "What horrible thing is happening in Norwich today?" Then I caught myself. Why does the presence of a television new crew signify bad news? Maybe it is because that is all that we seem to find on the evening news. Stories of corruption or tragedy seem to fill the air waves. If we are not hearing about the war in Iraq we are sure to find out that one of our neighbors was involved in something illicit.

So where do we find the bearers of Good News? I wish I could say it was in the church. You and I know that God's love is often preached from our pulpits on Sunday mornings. But too many of people see the church, and the church sets the bells ringing just like that news van. Many of our friends and neighbors only hear judgement and damnation flowing from our lips. As a result when they see us or think of the church, they connect it to "bad news."

Maybe we need to be more intentional in our sharing. We need to find ways to show the love of God in our actions. We need to speak words of compassion to those who are lost and hurting. We need to reach out wit love. We need to be more like Jesus. When people saw him, they swarmed to be near him so they could bask in his love.

1 comment:

Peter said...

You hit the nail on the head--we need to be more loving and encouraging. In my church its all about the negative-how bad and depraved man is. They still raise an eyebrow that we do not home school and that we have 'catholic' friends. At the end of a service I walk out-actually run out-more down then encouraged.