Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Trust the future to the Lord

I don't like change. I am discovering that I am one of those old people who wants things to remain the same forever. Unfortunately life doesn't work that way. If you think that nothing has changed in the last few years then you probably aren't paying attention.

Case in point is the fact that when I went down to Yale-New Haven Hospital yesterday they were doing a major reconstruction to the main entrance and atrium area. It was very disconcerting. I didn't like it. I don't know how many times I have been there and always felt welcome because of the familiar surroundings. But on Monday I felt disoriented.

The truth is that I know that sometimes change is for the better. It allows us to grow and respond to what is happening in the world around us. So why is it that we can't accept it? Maybe it is because we like to be in control. We like to think that we have the ability to direct every aspect of life around us. When changes happen it forces us to realize that we don't have as much control as we think we do.

I like the story I read today about the apostle Paul. His life turned upside down when he met Jesus on the Damascus Road. From that point forward he knew that God was in control of his future. That's why he was able to write later on that he had learned the secret to contentment. It was to be found in Christ and specifically in letting Christ control his life.

I don't know what the future holds. There will be changes but tonight I am going to trust Jesus to lead the way. Suddenly change doesn't seem so scary.

Peace! Cal

No comments: