Friday, August 27, 2010

The dash

“I gave you this work: to go and produce fruit, fruit that will last.” John 15:16

I have a funeral tomorrow. Funerals are wake up calls to many of us. They remind us that we are not here forever. I'll say some prayers, read some scriptures, offer up the hope of salvation and then share some nice words about the woman whom we are remembering. That's what happens at funerals.

I remember seeing a poem called "The Dash" several years ago. The point of the poem was that all of us are born and then we die. We are remembered as two dates separated by a dash. The dash represents the most important part of our lives. I think Jesus would agree. That's why he sent his disciples out and told them to go out and make a difference in the world. He wanted them to be world changers. He wanted them to make an impact, to touch lives and change the world one person at a time. That's our job today. We are to plant seeds that will bear fruit.

So what are you doing? Are you wasting your days or are you living for the Lord? I pray the dash in your life will be a powerful testimony to the glory of God.

Peace. Cal

No comments: