Monday, April 20, 2009

Where is your treasure?

I sat there looking at this very simple home. The exterior walls were made of concrete and the interior walls were cork board. A few pictures were hanging on the walls and the front door looked like it never closed. That's probably because the owners had an open door policy when it came to hosting church events.

In one of the poorer neighborhoods in Mexicali, this family opened their home to children of the neighbor and their families for a Vacation Bible School. They didn't have much but they were willing to share it all.

It made me think about so many people I know back home who have been blessed with so much. They jealously guard everything they have. The verse of scripture that comes to mind is "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal." from Matthew 6:19. Instead we are urged to store our treasure in heaven.

The folks in Mexico were doing just that. They were building the kingdom of God one brick at a time. In the three years that I have gone down there, I have learned so much from the people. They have their priorities right. Maybe we would be happier back home here if we were to listen to Jesus and begin reinvesting our treasures.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

I so agree my friend.