Friday, April 3, 2009

We will know because we know him.

Last night I made sugar free chocolate pudding. I was excited because with skim milk and sugar free cool whip you can make a super good low calorie dessert. I whipped up the batch of chocolate and put it in the cups. I placed it in the refrigerator to chill and waited.

I was feeling pretty good about everything until I pulled the cup out of the fridge and went looking for the Cool Whip. There wasn't any to be found. I pulled out ever drawer in the freezer to no avail. That's when I was struck with a crazy idea. Why couldn't I use ice cream instead? It wouldn't be a low calorie dessert anymore but it sure would taste good.

And that's how I invented chocolate pudding ice cream. As I sat there eating this delicious treat it dawned on me that this is how most things happen in life. We like to think we are in control and that we plan everything. But so much of what happens to us is the result of improvisation on our part. Life is unpredictable and so we have to make choices and determine what we will do as we go along. John Lennon once said that "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."

That is why it is so important to have a solid relationship to Christ. When we walk with him every day, we'll find it much easier to make the right choices that will lead to happiness and fulfillment. It doesn't guarantee that you won't make mistakes. It simply means that you and I will be more apt to make good choices because they will be informed by our faith. We won't have to ask the question "What would Jesus do?" because we will know from our own walk with him.

Cal

1 comment:

Denise said...

Nice post my friend. By the way, I love chocolate pudding with cool whip.