Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Life happens unexpectedly

John Lennon once said, "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans." If that is the case, then life happened to me yesterday. My plan was to take the day off and tend to some much neglected housework, and if I had enough energy, to do our taxes.

I managed to procrastinate most of the morning but a pile of laundry kept staring me in the face. So I finally decided to jump in and that's when the world turned upside down. The phone rang and it was my daughter. In tears, she told me how her car had died on the highway and she didn't know what to do. Normally I would hop in the car and go to her rescue. It wasn't so easy this time. She was two and a half hours away.

After managing to hook her up with AAA, I decided that I would go to her and let her take my car to finish her trip to college and I would wait with the disabled vehicle. I managed to get to Albany right after her car problems were diagnosed. Luckily, they had what they needed and got to work replacing her alternator.

In another hour she was all set and on her way. Some might say that my drive to Albany was a waste of time. But to me it was a divine appointment with my daughter in a moment of stress. We had dinner together and a nice talk. I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon.

It is often these unplanned, unexpected moments that provide the memories that we take with us long after they are gone. It is in these moments that god often shows up. He shares his grace with us and sets up these special moments. We get frustrated because they weren't planned, but when we look back on them, we see exactly how special they were. so thank you God, for interrupting us so we can live a little bit.

Cal

No comments: