Monday, May 14, 2007

The grapes of wrath

I went to Harry's Place in Colchester the other day and ordered a hot dog with the works and a grape soda. The cashier promptly told me that they didn't have grape soda. To which I replied,"Wow! I used to always get grape soda here."

The boy looked at the woman standing next to him and said, "Mom, when did we have grape soda? I never remember it." She responded, "Oh yes, we had it back when Coke was our distributor." Then I thought about it for a minute and I realized that I used to get my regular order about 26 years ago. The cashier probably wasn't even born yet.

Time is a funny thing. It passes ever so quickly and yet there is a part of us that continues to live in the past. We remember things as though they happened yesterday. I think that is why we hold on to grudges so long. We get5 angry over something and we can't seem to let it go. I know people who are still angry over some slight that happened twenty years ago.

I think God had it right when he called on the Jewish people to forgive all their debts in seven year periods and in the jubilee year, they were to start all over. Maybe we need to do that too! We need to let the past be the past and get on with the future.

So if you are carrying some burden around, give it to God and move on. You'll be happier for it.

Cal

No comments: